Expressions of Interest: Food
As the culinary capital of Australia, Sydney has world-class hatted chefs, restaurants, producers and venues and Vivid Food is all about celebrating those that make our food scene so special.
Vivid Food gives chefs, producers, restaurateurs and event companies the opportunity to create festival food events and activations that are creative, innovative and stimulate visitation to CBD restaurants and venues. Vivid Food events should actively promote the night-time economy, relate to the 2024 creative direction and provide memorable and world-class experiences for our audiences.
We are looking for concepts that align with Vivid Sydney’s 2024 Creative Direction “Humanity” and that celebrate Sydney and NSW food in original and dynamic ways. Events should incorporate other elements of the festival such as light, music or ideas and truly engage with audiences through creativity, immersion and interactivity. Vivid Food is all about innovative food experiences that are unique to Vivid Sydney, of the highest quality and that celebrate our world-renowned food culture.
To apply you will need to provide the following:
- Personal / company information - contact and contracting details
- Previous experience in developing and producing successful unique and creative food activations/events, including examples of previous related work
- A brief written description of the food concept, including but not limited to:
- Proposed title of the food event and brief description
- Proposed venue and format – we encourage events in unique spaces and venues
- Proposed chef/s, producers, talent – musicians, speakers, lighting designers etc
- Proposed producers of the event/activation and experience
- How the concept incorporates light, music and/or ideas
- Proposed event date/s and times
- Proposed ticket prices (preference will be given to those events with competitive pricing)
- Proposed target audience
- What are your event objectives?
- How does the concept celebrate and showcase Sydney/ NSW food and produce?
- How does the concept promote the night-time economy in Sydney CBD?
- How the event relates to the 2024 Creative Direction of “Humanity”
- Event marketing and communications information and an explanation of how you plan to market your event. Please include examples of previous marketing material and details on social media and digital marketing communities
- A detailed budget breakdown, including how any requested investment will assist in further developing program content, quality and scope
- Information on the accessibility and sustainability of your event.
In your EOI please demonstrate how your Vivid Food event/ activation concept meets the following criteria:
- Creative and culinary merit, including demonstrated innovation in the food sector, that addresses the 2024 creative direction
- The potential for your event to offer audiences a high quality, unique food experience that demonstrates and celebrates Sydney’s world-renowned food culture and promotes the night-time economy in Sydney CBD
- Experience in developing and producing successful, unique and creative food activations/events
- Presentation of an innovative concept in a unique space or venue
- Inclusion of light, music and/or ideas in the food event/activation
- The potential for your event to attract or develop audiences including visitation from outside of Sydney
- Demonstration of your event’s commitment to accessible and sustainable practices
FOOD TRUCKS & STALLHOLDER SUBMISSIONS
Food Trucks and stallholders are invited to submit their details of service for consideration. Submissions must include the following specifics:
- Savoury and or Dessert
- Theme and how it supports the Creative Direction for 2024
- Menu pricing and portion sizes
- Equipment needs (water, waste, power etc.) external to truck/stall
- Food Truck spatial required
- Capacity – Number of portions of food serviced per hour
- Previous experience
- Photos of food and truck/stall including signage
- Packaging – Evidence to support the use of sustainable packaging
All applicants are required to read the following documents prior to applying:
Applications are open to any individual, business or organisation interested in producing or collaborating on an event in the Vivid Food program that is aligned to the 2024 Creative Direction and Vivid Food selection criteria. You will need to hold an ABN (Australian Business Number) to enter into an agreement with Destination NSW (the owner and manager of Vivid Sydney).
If you are applying as a group of individuals, one member must be nominated to sign and manage the agreement for the event. Applicants must meet the following pre-requisites prior to submitting an Expression of Interest for Vivid Food 2024:
- The applicant must be a registered business (hold an ABN, ACN or international equivalent)
- The proposed event must not be a sales pitch or promotional tool for your business, products, or services
- The event must take place in Sydney during the festival period – Friday 24 May - Saturday 15 June 2024. Event must be ready to announce as part of the Vivid Sydney Program Launch in March 2024 (exact date TBC), with event concept, collateral (images and event copy) and speakers confirmed and provided to Vivid Sydney by Monday 8 January 2024. The applicant must be prepared and able to enter into a contract with Destination NSW (Destination NSW owns, manages and produces the festival) for the duration of the event, which includes holding all relevant licenses, insurances and approvals.
- The event must be related to the culinary industries of Sydney and/ or NSW, and demonstrate innovation and respond to the Creative Direction
- The applicant must hold or be willing to take out public liability insurance to the value of $20 million for the duration of their event
- Applicants must ensure that all public liability purchased internationally is valid worldwide, preferably with the interests of Destination NSW noted
- All sessions must be exclusive to Vivid Sydney (in the 3 months lead up to and during the festival period) and we welcome pilot projects. We can discuss this in more detail during the shortlist process.
We are looking for concepts that celebrate Sydney and NSW food and wine in original and dynamic ways, that incorporate other elements of Vivid Sydney such as light, music or ideas and truly engage with audiences through creativity, immersion and interactivity. Vivid Food is all about innovative food experiences that are unique to Vivid Sydney, of the highest quality and that celebrate our world-renowned food culture. Sales / business pitches or strategic marketing events which do not align with the above are not the best fit for Vivid Food program.
Applicants can benefit from the following:
- Inclusion in curated program of food and wine activations as part of Australia’s largest and most successful public event
- Listing of your event on the Vivid Sydney website and inclusion in the Vivid Sydney digital marketing program
- Networking events with other program participants
Further support, such as investment in the event, venue or talent may be possible subject to negotiations and conditions and considered on a case-by-case basis.
There is no application cost to enter an Expression of Interest for Vivid Sydney. In consultation with the curatorial team, fees and investment can be discussed.
At the discretion of Vivid Sydney, some large-scale events may be developed via co-investment on a shared-return model. Budget is not specifically allocated for this investment; however, you may list your budget requirements in your application form for us to discuss with you.
Tickets for Vivid Food events will range in price depending on the offer and activation. We suggest keeping price as low as possible to attract a diverse audience.
Destination NSW may enter into a relationship with a third-party ticketing agent with integration into the Vivid Sydney website.
Sponsors may be engaged for your event but must be approved by Destination NSW. Sponsors will only have rights and benefits to your event and will not be able to align themselves with the wider Vivid Food or Vivid Sydney program. There may be restrictions on sponsors in product categories including (but not limited to) alcohol, cause-related marketing, banking, and credit cards, automotive, technology (consumer and business), cleaning and hygiene, immigration, gambling and gaming, adult products or services and political groups or activities.
This Expression of Interest does not cover brand activations or partnership proposals. We suggest contacting our Partnerships team to discuss your proposal.
You will be required to enter a contract with Destination NSW outlining the requirements and responsibilities of both parties during the term. Contracts will be sent out in November 2023. We require event concept, collateral (images and event copy) to be confirmed by Monday 8 January 2024.
Event collateral will be collected via an online form along with additional event information. Submitted event copy will be edited or re-written by our internal copywriter for consistency across the website. We also require all talent profiles and head shots to be uploaded to our online system once they are confirmed, to assist with marketing your event.
You agree that you will not announce your event prior to the Vivid Sydney media launch in mid-March 2024 (date TBC). An information session will be held before the end of 2023 to meet with event owners and introduce them to the festival.
Applications will be assessed and shortlisted for inclusion in the Vivid Food program by the Vivid Sydney Curatorial Panel.
Please keep a copy of all submitted material, as this cannot be returned by Vivid Sydney.
The decisions of the Vivid Sydney curatorial panel are final, and no feedback can be given on individual applications.
Applicants must ensure that any personal costs associated with their application are included in their proposed artist fee and it is covered in the cost of presenting the event.
For updates and important information on Vivid Sydney we recommend signing up to MyVivid.
We recommend monitoring vividsydney.com and Vivid Sydney social media channels.
This Expression of Interest process is not applicable for industry or corporate hospitality events, brand activations or product launches. Please contact the Vivid Sydney team if you would like to discuss opportunities to align your brand with the festival.
The food precinct at the Overseas Passenger Terminal is owned and produced by The Port Authority of NSW. Please contact The Port Authority of NSW - https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/