Wander away from the Light Walk on an immersive audio journey through the dark to hidden alleyways and secret parts of The Rocks and Walsh Bay. Let...
NOCTURNE | An Immersive Journey
2 Merriman Street
Wander away from the Light Walk on an immersive audio journey through the dark to hidden alleyways and secret parts of The Rocks and Walsh Bay. Let your ears lead the way in this one-of-a-kind experience guided by First Nations knowledge and voices, transforming familiar locales into a poetic landscape as you journey towards the night sky for a special star-gazing session.
Created by one step at a time like this, an internationally acclaimed group of Melbourne-based artists who create site-specific experiences, this unique adventure has been commissioned specifically for Vivid Sydney 2023.
Contemplative and dream-like, NOCTURNE is a theatrical swirl of ideas and feelings about darkness and the unknown. It's made of late-night whispers and evocative fragments of memories in search of nature lost and found, incorporating First Nations perspectives on land, water and sky Country. This experience is designed for small groups and individuals to wander through The Rocks and Walsh Bay area for an hour, before relaxing and embracing the night sky on picnic rugs.
NOCTURNE features the voices and knowledge of Ghillar Michael Anderson, Euahlayi Senion Lawman and Knowledge Holder; Jake Ferguson, Bidjigal-Dharawal, Wailwan, Biripi and Bundjalung man; Shannon Foster, D'harawal Saltwater Knowledge Keeper; marine environmental scientist Dr Katherine Dafforn, along with the creatives of one step at a time like this.
- NOCTURNE is approximately a 90-minute experience. Depending on journeying pace, around 60 minutes will involve walking, including flights of stairs. A moderate level of fitness is required.
- Warm clothing and flat footwear are recommended & little to carry.
- NOCTURNE is a self-led, interactive experience taking you through the streets of The Rocks and Walsh Bay, and it includes crossing roads, climbing stairs and walking through the dark on uneven surfaces. Although NOCTURNE staff will be available to call at all times should there be an issue, safety is your own responsibility. Vivid Sydney and one step at a time like this do not take responsibility for any injury or accident that takes place whilst you are taking part in NOCTURNE.
- Please feel free to use your phone torch if you are concerned about walking in dark areas.
- The starting point is different to the end point and so we recommend travelling light. There is no cloak check.
- This experience is recommended for people 13 years and over. Any under 18 year olds must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- This is a self-guided experience and you must be able to follow audio and visual instructions in English.
About the company:
“their sheer loving attention to the fabric of the city and the way they range freely and imaginatively through the possibilities of 21st century and traditional media distinguishes the work of the artists who make up one step at a time like this. This audio work (Enroute) leaves you shaken and a little changed.”
★★★★ - Joyce McMillan, The Scotsman
Created by one step at time like this in association with Bureau of Works and Richard Jordan Productions.
This is part of Vivid Ideas' Immersive Events series. Be transported somewhere new by the Up Late nights at Australian Museum and Powerhouse, an NFT party, mindfulness workshops and truly one-of-a-kind experiences.
Image Credit: Denis Beaubois