Australia is one of the most urbanised nations on the planet, with over 80% of people living in cities. Urban resilience is a massive challenge.Today’s...
The City We Want: Co-creating Resilient Cities with Young Innovators
Australia is one of the most urbanised nations on the planet, with over 80% of people living in cities. Urban resilience is a massive challenge.
Today’s under-35s (Gen Y and Z), are disproportionately disadvantaged by rapid urban growth – from housing affordability to poor transport connectivity, lack of or privatisation of public open space and social isolation. Young people are also among the demographics most likely to be left out of the decision making. We want to change this.
YLab (a new social enteprise of the Foundation for Young Australians) and City of Sydney would like to invite you to the first ever event that puts young people at the centre of city-making in Sydney.
This one-day experience is an opportunity for young innovators and industry leaders to challenge old ways of thinking about how cities are designed and shaped.
We will explore 3 big bold design challenges:
1. How might we tap into our community’s experiences with disaster to ensure we are better prepared for disruption?
2. How might we increase cohesion between cultural groups across Sydney to embrace our city’s diversity?
3. How might we involve young people in decision making to ensure city planning puts people first?
The day will involve going through design thinking process in teams with AMAZING facilitators / speakers including:
- Al Jeffery, Founder of Base
- Darren Sharp, Director of Social Surplus
- Gilbert Rochecouste, Founder and Managing Director of Village Well
- Lucinda Hartley, Co-Founder of CoDesign Studio
- Sam Johnson, Social Entrepreneur and Founder of the New Zealand Student Volunteer Army
This event will be the beginning of an ongoing conversation and series of projects to create a truly resilient Sydney.
Come listen, learn, meet others who have a shared purpose, eat (yes - lunch is totally provided!) and contribute your ideas. Places are limited so please book your spot ASAP.
Lunch is provided for all participants, which is included in the ticket price.
This is a drug and alcohol free event.
*Booking and transaction fees may apply