Should artists be restricted by cultural boundaries when creating their work? Join us as we explore the blurry lines between cultural exchange...
Borrowed Voice: Freedom of Expression vs Cultural Appropriation
Should artists be restricted by cultural boundaries when creating their work?
Join us as we explore the blurry lines between cultural exchange and cultural appropriation and their effect on the production of creative works in Australia by tipping a traditional debate on its head.
Teams of artists, writers and comedians will question the ethics of representation and the concepts of identity politics and political correctness through a ‘reversed-debate’ format. ’Affirmative’ speakers will argue the negative standpoint to highlight the shortcomings of the opposing view, with the aim of exploring this serious and contentious subject through an entertaining, thought-provoking and engaging discussion.
· Deng Adut — lawyer and author
· Bronwyn Bancroft — artist and illustrator
· Daisy Cousens — writer and journalist
· Thomas Keneally — novelist
· Caroline Marcus — reporter, anchor and columnist
· Chris Taylor — comedy writer, performer and broadcaster.