Live music is back in 2021 and it’s time to secure your spot on the stage. Apply now to be at the cutting edge of music, culture and technology with Vivid Music 2021.
Each year, we present a world-leading program of innovative performances from emerging and established artists across the city’s most unique spaces. We are calling on members of the music industry, including venues, event producers, promoters, industry associations and collectives to be part of Vivid Music 2021.
We are seeking proposals which focus on the artist, encouraging creatives to develop innovative and cutting-edge live music experiences across multiple genres.
How does it work?
There are two categories now open for expressions of interest:
- Vivid X|CELERATE – a grant program supporting small-to-medium venues and emerging producers, promoters or artists working within the City of Sydney area to produce an exclusive event or program for Vivid Music. Vivid X|CELERATE is a proud partnership between Vivid Music and the City of Sydney.
- Third Party Events – an opportunity for small to large-scale enterprise venues, event producers, promoters and artists who are interested in staging a self-funded and managed live music event, including festivals and larger concerts.
How to submit your application
Applications must be submitted via the online application form. No applications will be accepted via email or hardcopy. If you are having trouble accessing the application form, please contact us for assistance. Destination NSW takes no responsibility for access or connection issues.
Important things to know
- Events must be related to the music industry; either serving the music sector or live performance and must take place in Sydney during the festival period 6 – 28 August 2021.
- The Vivid Music Expression of Interest specifically requests proposals from individuals or organisations looking to produce an event in the Vivid Music program. While we accept applications directly from music artists wishing to self-produce an event in which they may feature, we do not accept applications from musical acts looking to be booked or considered for other events or venues.
- This Expression of Interest process does not cover performances at the Sydney Opera House as part of the Vivid LIVE program. We are unable to assess or pass on any applications to the Sydney Opera House for consideration.
- Inclusion in the Southern Hemisphere’s largest festival of light, music and ideas as well as Australia’s largest and most successful public event.
- Cross promotion within a program of high quality music industry events and live performances, which in 2019 reached an audience of over 100,000 attendees.
- Marketing support for your event through integration with the wider Vivid Sydney program and marketing campaign. This includes a listing of the event on the Vivid Sydney website, and potential event inclusion in the Vivid Sydney digital marketing program.
The Expression of Interest application form for Vivid Music will require proponents to provide:
- Details of the proposed talent or line-up, including examples of previous work.
- The proposed event details including performance dates, times, name, ticket prices, ticketing agent.
- Details of the proposed venue, including venue availability, and any existing audiences.
- Event marketing and communications information and an explanation of how you plan to market your event. Please include examples of previous marketing material and details on social media and digital marketing communities
- A detailed budget breakdown of how the requested investment will assist in further developing program content, quality and scope.
We will preference applicants who present events or projects which meet the below selection criteria:
- Include a suggested or confirmed artist line up for your event/s
- A focus on exciting, emerging and / or cutting-edge artists as the central offering of your event.
- An emphasis on ‘live’ – be it organic or electronic - or at the cutting edge of DJ and club culture.
- Showcase innovation in music, performance and / or music technology.
- A program / event which enhances or presents a new concept in a unique space or venue.
- Evidence of potential for the program to attract visitation from outside Sydney.
- Innovative programming including new and emerging artists, genres or performance styles, or established acts presenting work in new formats.
- Have an outlook towards inclusion and diversity, including gender balanced line-ups where possible.
Additionally, the X|CELERATE grant program will highlight applicants who can:
- Show that the program / event will result in a projected increase in visitation to normal operations.
- Showcase a program / event which enhances or expands your regular programming outside of usual constraints or presents a new concept in a unique space or venue.
Applicants must meet the following prerequisites prior to submitting an Expression of Interest for Vivid Music 2021:
- The applicant must be a registered business (hold an ABN, ACN or international equivalent)
- The proposed event must not be a sales pitch or promotional tool for your business, products, or services
- The event must take place in Sydney during the festival period. Dates 6 – 28 August 2021
- The applicant must be prepared and able to enter into a contract with Destination NSW (Destination NSW owns, manages and produces the festival) for the duration of the event, which includes holding all relevant licenses, insurances and approvals
- The applicant must hold or be willing to take out public liability insurance to the value of $20 million for the duration of their event
- Applicants must ensure that all public liability purchased internationally is valid worldwide, preferably with the interests of Destination NSW noted.
Access and Inclusion
Vivid Sydney maintains a dedicated Access and Inclusion program, to ensure that Australia’s largest event remains accessible to all. We encourage organisations to make their event accessible to all audiences, this is part of the selection criteria and will be assessed.
Vivid Music venues and events that offer increased Access and Inclusion services, such as participation in the NSW Companion Card program, customer service support for special needs patrons, hearing loop availability and wheelchair/reduced mobility access facilities are encouraged to participate in the Vivid Music program. More information on the NSW Government's Companion Card program can be found at companioncard.nsw.gov.au
Vivid Sydney is committed to delivering a sustainable event.
We encourage all venues and event producers to use electronic ticketing, and to further explore sustainable practice and environmental management solutions and technology within the Vivid Music program.
If your event is successful in being selected, you will be required to contribute to Vivid Sydney’s commitment to environmental sustainability. Specifically, you will be required to:
- Carry out your work to minimise the environmental impact of your event
- Work with Destination NSW to enhance and improve Vivid Sydney’s over-arching sustainability expectations, policies, procedures, statements and practices
- At the request of Destination NSW, provide a copy of any environmental data collected for use in environmental sustainability reporting and other public representations