Do you have an idea worth sharing? We are looking for creatives, innovators and agents of change to be part of Vivid Ideas. Vivid Ideas celebrates those that challenge the norm, trailblazers with ground-breaking ideas, the left-field thinkers who see the world differently and the mavericks and the misfits who push the boundary. It could be a talk or workshop, a documentary or podcast, a spoken word performance, a demonstration of cutting- edge technology or an immersive experience that provides a unique perspective. We want your bold, ambitious and thought-provoking ideas and concepts.
Vivid Ideas is a curated program of talks, workshops, and experiences to share knowledge and highlight developments in technology, culture and society. The program showcases the breadth of creativity and innovation that Australia has to offer and explores the forces shaping society both locally and globally. We also want to create memorable moments and offer experiences that make people see our city in a new light. Hit us with your big ideas.
How does it work?
Vivid Ideas comprises events that are produced by the Vivid Sydney team, events that are submitted through the Expression of Interest (EOI) process and are produced by other parties and large-scale events, industry conferences and festivals looking to partner with Vivid Sydney. The EOI incorporates talks and workshop (capacity 100 - 200 people), interactive performances/technology demonstrations/storytelling/screenings and immersive experiences.
There are three categories covered under this Vivid Ideas Expression of Interest:
- Vivid Ideas Exchange - Seminars and panel discussions, networking / association events, screenings or immersive experiences for up to 200 people. Intended audiences can be industry specific or general public interest groups. Vivid Ideas provides the venue and production at a subsidised cost.
- Immersive experiences/ hybrid performances – examples include storytelling sessions, documentaries to be screened and discussed, podcast readings, interactive performances, hybrid activations bringing music, art and ideas together throughout the inner Sydney and CBD area.
- Third Party Events - Talks, panel discussions, performances (incorporating technology) debates and small-to-large-scale conferences held in other venues throughout the inner city and CBD area.
How to submit your application
Applications must be submitted via the online application form. No applications will be accepted via email or hardcopy. If you are having trouble accessing the application form, please contact us for assistance. Destination NSW takes no responsibility for access or connection issues.
Participating in the Vivid Ideas Program provides a number of benefits, including:
- Inclusion in Australia’s largest and most successful public event, in a highly curated program of talks, discussions, conferences and immersive experiences.
- Promotion amongst a thought leadership program of high-quality creative, lifestyle and tech industry events and experiences which in 2019 reached an audience of over 33,000 attendees – the festival reaches over 2 million people in total
- Marketing support for your event through integration with the wider Vivid Sydney program and marketing campaign. This includes a listing of the event on the Vivid Sydney website and inclusion in the Vivid Sydney digital marketing program
- Subsidised venue hire and production costs for events held at the Vivid Ideas Exchange
- Networking events with other program participants
- Ideas guide
Further support, such as investment in the event, venue or talent may be possible subject to negotiations and conditions.
This Expression of Interest process is not applicable for industry or corporate hospitality events, brand activations or product launches. Please get in touch with the Vivid Sydney team if you would like to discuss opportunities to align your brand with the festival.
The Expression of Interest application form for Vivid Ideas events will require applicants to provide:
- Event Concept - proposed title, event description, type of venue and format
- Strategic outcomes for your event and organisation
- Identification of which creative or tech industries sector your event aligns with.
- Details on your proposed speakers, artists or presenters – noting preference given to events showcasing a diversity of talent
- Preferred event dates and times
- Ticket prices, noting those with competitive pricing will be given preference
- Details on your organisation, including your experience in programming and presenting innovative and creative events
- Information on your audience and marketing reach and how you plan to market your event
- Information on the accessibility and sustainability of your event.
All applications and supporting material will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Creative and artistic merit, including demonstrated innovation in the creative or technology industry sectors
- The potential for your event to offer audiences a high quality, thought-provoking, and informative experience and highlighting diverse talent
- The potential for your event to contribute to professional development, network building, and knowledge exchange in the creative and technology sectors
- The potential for your event to offer an accessible and sustainable event
You must complete the Vivid Ideas 2021 online application form and attach all relevant documentation in the required file formats.
The Curator of Vivid Ideas will program the mix of events considering the topics, the scale of the event and the associated audience in order to create a diverse and topical program.
Applicants must meet the following prerequisites prior to submitting an Expression of Interest for Vivid Ideas 2021:
- The applicant must be a registered business (hold an ABN, ACN or international equivalent)
- The proposed event must not be a sales pitch or promotional tool for your business, products, or services
- The event must take place in Sydney during the festival period. Dates 6 – 28 August 2021
- The applicant must be prepared and able to enter into a contract with Destination NSW (Destination NSW owns, manages and produces the festival) for the duration of the event, which includes holding all relevant licenses, insurances and approvals
- The event must be related to the creative industries, innovation or the technology industry (either serving the creative industries or connecting audiences and creative professionals with world-class creators, makers and thinkers)
- The applicant must hold or be willing to take out public liability insurance to the value of $20 million for the duration of their event
- Applicants must ensure that all public liability purchased internationally is valid worldwide, preferably with the interests of Destination NSW noted.
Access and Inclusion
Vivid Sydney maintains a dedicated Access and Inclusion program, to ensure that Australia’s largest event remains accessible to all. In line with the program, we encourage organisations to make their event accessible to all audiences, this is part of the selection criteria and will be assessed.
Vivid Ideas venues and events that offer increased Access and Inclusion services, such as participation in the NSW Companion Card program, customer service support for special needs patrons, hearing loop availability and wheelchair/reduced mobility access facilities are encouraged to participate in the Vivid Ideas Program. More information on the NSW Government's Companion Card program can be found at companioncard.nsw.gov.au
Vivid Sydney is committed to delivering a sustainable event.
We encourage all venues and event producers to use electronic ticketing, and to further explore sustainable practice and environmental management solutions and technology within the Vivid Ideas program.
If your event is successful in being selected, you will be required to contribute to Vivid Sydney’s commitment to environmental sustainability. Specifically, you will be required to:
- Carry out your work to minimise the environmental impact of your event
- Work with Destination NSW to enhance and improve Vivid Sydney’s over-arching sustainability expectations, policies, procedures, statements and practices
- At the request of Destination NSW, provide a copy of any environmental data collected for use in environmental sustainability reporting and other public representations